Question
Posted by: worried | 2008/06/09

Long distance relationship

Hi There,
I've been with the love of my life for just under a year now & we have been blissfully happy up until now...We currently live together so therefore, see each other everyday.

Today, however he received a call that he is being transferred next week to Durban (i'm in JHB) for at least 6-12 months. I'm not sure what to do! I have never had to deal with long-distance relationships before & I'm scared it will cause our breakup.

What should I do & in your opinion and do long - distance relationships work if it is for so long?

,,,,,

7
Posted by: :) | 2008/06/10

Communication, communication, communication! That's the most important thing I would say, because you won't be together every day anymore you won't have the gestures that usually reassures you and lets you know how you feel about each other,so make a point of it to tell each other often how you feel about each other and why. Talk about your day and what you did, in this way you still know what is going on in each others life. I know it's very difficult to have a long distance relationship but there is no reason this should mean the end for you. Good luck!

Reply to :)
Posted by: Anon for this | 2008/06/10

The fact of the matetr is. This may be your biggest challange you may ever face... But when you get through this, NOTHING will break you!

Reply to Anon for this
Posted by: Cc | 2008/06/09

i was the same as anon.

just talk on the phone as much as you can and trust him.

also joberg is not that far, you could drive or fly.
we i was away from my partner, i would go see her every second week, and she would come me every second week.

just dont give up, if you guys are in love then it will work out.

my sister and her husband were apart for 5 years and now they have 3 kids and living happly ever after.

Reply to Cc
Posted by: butterfly | 2008/06/09

Im in a long distance relationship for the past 3 years, Its been a rollercoaster ride but I believe its worth it because I love my boyfriend & he loves me more than anything. We had more than our fair share of problems trust isssues but eventually you will learn to accept it & make it work. Its what you want it to be good luck

Reply to butterfly
Posted by: Anon for this | 2008/06/09

Been there done that...
Been together for 3 years, had to move to another city. We saw each other once for that year, but spoke everyday on the phone... Fought A LOT, but kept loyal. Today, I would not change that year for anything in the world. It was tough, but worth the while for we learned what we really have in each other.

Reply to Anon for this
Posted by: been there | 2008/06/09

hi there

as long as .. you have trust and love in your relationship..it can and will work.

wen my boyfriend moved away..we were apart for 9 months...

ofcourse i made trips to c him..that helps!...
it wasn't easy..but we talked on the phone everyday..telling each other..how much ..we love each other..and in the end it's up to you..if your willing to make it work.

just breath.. dnt worry..you will be just fine :-)

Reply to been there
Posted by: Sg | 2008/06/09

I have always personally believed that long term relationships are almost a lost cause.However,6-12 months could be manageable as Durban is not too far and weekend visits etc will hopefully help.
It will require a lot of trust and re-assuring each other of your feelings for each other.It will not be easy but it can be done.

Reply to Sg