Question
Posted by: Anglefish | 2003/12/15

long cycle

I had a miscarriage about 3 months ago. Since then my cycle has been a regular 41 days long. I get ovulation signs, pains in my sides, slippery clear cervical mucus, headaches and just before my period I get severe back pains and cramps. However I am worried that something could be wrong with my cycle being so long as I don’t know anyone else with such a long cycle and that maybe I’m not actually ovulating. I saw my gynae for a checkup about a month ago, he did a transvaginal scan and showed me my ovaries and said that I had quite a few eggs maturing so was very happy with that but I didn’t actually mention my cycle being so long. I was on the pill for about 4 years and injection for 8 months after the birth of my son who is now 6 and after coming off the injection did not get my periods for a year, then fell pregnant and miscarried. My cycle has always been long but usually about 35 – 38 days. I’ve heard that painful periods are a sign that you did ovulate in the previous cycle, is this true and if I am ovulating what could be causing my cycle to take so long and is it normal.

Your cycle is longer than usual. The best way to check whether you are ovulating is with a blood test. The fact that your doctor saw follicles on the scan is a good sign though. If you are planning to fall pregnant, you may wish to have the ovulation test so that you know for sure.