Posted by: Lost | 2008/10/17

Lonely, scared... suicidal

Not even sure how to put this into words... but just can' t handle this little voice in the back of my mind all the time that keeps on asking " what is it all about"  - just can' t get a grip on life... keep on searching for a reason to carry on and there doesnt seem to be anything out there that feels worth the effort... just want to go to sleep and not wake up.... why is it that they say it is selfish to commit suicide - my existence - or non existence on this planet is going to have absolutely no impact on anyones life - I dont have any close family and my friends are scattered around the world - I see very little of them... why is it we can take our dog to the vet and have him put down but not ourselves... I fail to understand this... the only reason I have not attempted suicide is because I am not sure of the best way to go about it - the last thing I want is to wake up in hospital to find that I had not been successful... when i hear of people dying leaving family and loved ones behind I have to question why they were taken and not the likes of myself who clearly has no real purpose on this planet - I have no children, etc - and just cant see the point of it all... this voice in my head just seems to get louder and louder

How does one deal with this?

Many of us find, especially at times, that we wonder what it's all about --- its a natural but essentially philosophical and spiritual question. But your description of how you feel very strongly suggests that you are seriously Depressed and in need of treatment. DO see a good local shrink for assessment ( be frank with him about how you have been feeling ) and take his/her advice on treatment. If you happen to feel convinced that your sense of hopeless is entirely realistic and not related to depression --- then test this by doing as I said, and if after cooperating for some months with appropriate treatment your feelings are unchanged, then maybe you'd be right to consider your existential dilemma the primary problem. I am certain that you have a purpose on this planet, even if you can't see that at present. From where I sit, I can't see Durban, but I have excellent reason to believe that it exists, and I would find it if I travelled in the right way and direction.

Posted by: anon | 2008/10/17

I think that you know that you don' t really want to commit suicide, otherwise you would not have posted on this forum as I see this post as a cry for help. Commiting suicide is not only a very selfish desici on, but also a very stupid one, believe me, you DONT want to do this. you are worth much more than you believe, dont you think if you were not special you would not wake up in the morning, but still God blesses you every morning with a healthy body, working organs, sunshine, and so many other beautyful wonders of nature.... His plan for you is to be alive, sorry to disappoiit you, but you are not a dog, and your owner (GOD) has decided not to " Put you down"  just yet, so it means that you still have a purpose on this beautyful planet. start thanking Him for what you do have and focus on your blessings (count your blessing, name them one by one) and stop telling yourself you are not worth anything... you will start believing this... and it is not true. Dont let this " voice"  lie to you.... you are special

Reply to anon