Question
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/30

lol at The munchausens kid

hey doc - ever heard this one? Rememer by SIL claiming to have cervical cancer and needing hyst at the same time her bro had a testicle removed cor cancer? I wondered how she would get out of it all - she has declined the operation as she does not want to have hormone problems.

I took your advice and just said "ag shame" whilst thinking about my steer burger that was getting cold in the bag

Perfectly handled --- and your "Ag SHame !" could be entirely honest and sincere, even if it was about the cooling burger, and not her non-existent problem. And you were free from getting entangled in feeling manipulated by her ! Well done !
I studied Munchausens over the years, and actually treated several cases ( including a couple of very rare ones who actually agreed to be treated for what was REALLY wrong with them rather than the awful illnesses they had been simulating ). Munchausens involves simulating a serious illness you don't have. then simulating Munchausens could be attempted --- and you'd get tied up in the paradox mentioned. It's like that ancient one about the Greek who said "All Greeks are Liars" ( or was that a Cretan ? ) ---if he was telling the truth, he'd have to be lying --- which would make the statement true --- but then it couldn't be
sigh

1
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/30

and I have just read a Dartmouth University paper by a doc who felt his patient was faking having munchausens - ever heard of that?<br><br>and the medical board said if he was not faking he did not have it - and if he was faking he did have it?

Reply to RMC