Question
Posted by: Garfield | 2008/05/28

Logotherapy?

Hi CS,

Just wondering about your oppinion on the effectiveness of Logotherapy?

Also, there seem to be a lot of similarities/cross overs between Cognitive Behavioural & Logotherapy ... what are the significant differences (if any) between the 2 schools of thought/therapy?

Thanks!

I agree there are some significant similarities, but there is no research that I know of on the effectiveness of logotherapy, and no really standardized way of conducting it ( which would of course make such research impossible ). I was a pal of Viktor Frankl who devised Logotherapy, and respected him highly. CBT is more codified, organized, and specific, and has research to back its claims. Logotherapy is far more philosophical, broad, and non-specific. I like it much better than psychoanalysis, but they're both still an ideal treatment for someone who doesn't have anything serious wrong with the,