Question
Posted by: Nadine | 2005/06/15

Liza - please read

Liza, earlier on i told you that my husband's family say i suffer from bipolar. I didn't realise you suffer from it but your posting on bipolar from Puzzled is what i experience. For a very, very long time the thing that has really irritated me is that i feel like im not really here. I have often said to my husband (not realising that it could be bipolar) is that I feel like im in another dimension. Its like i am here but mentally im not. Liza, I have always suspected i suffer from manic depression but never did anything about it. One day my doctor put me on medication for anxiety and i am currently taking Sulpiride (anti-phycotic) medication but he has never said i suffer from bipolar. He just said its depression. But my moods are from one extreme to the next to the point that there are times even i get scared. I am anxious now 'cos my husband is adamant that we are going to see a doctor for the proper treatment for once and for all. Help please, I wanna run away. Will i be normal again. Will i be able to function properly at work. I dont want the staff here to think im nuts or something. You know what people are like - they can be cruel.

I think you need to see a proper psychiatrist, raher than a GP, as Sulpiride isn;t an effective treatment for Depression or for Bipolar Disorder.

2
Posted by: Nadine | 2005/06/15

Liza, I am sooooooooo glad you are talking to me. This morning when my husband said his family are 100% sure i suffer from bipolar - i drove to work choking back the tears (i always suspected i did) 'cos i felt so scared. On Saturday my husband is finally taking me to see a doctor who can send me in the right direction. I am so sick of feeling like everything is 'unreal'. Im sick of crying. Im sick of being in the darkest state of depression and then a few days later Im on top of the world as if nothing is wrong. Please stay and talk to me on Monday 'cos i want to tell you what the doctor said, etc. I seriously need you right now. Enjoy tomorrow off.

Reply to Nadine
Posted by: Liza | 2005/06/15

People can be very cruel - and you don't have to disclose any of your medical problems with anyone at work. If you have to take sick leave, you can even request your doctor not to specify for what in the letter - although a letter from a psychiatrist rather gives it away.

Be glad that your husband is so adamant that you get treatment. Once you're using the right medication - your life throws a 180 and things either go back to 'normal' or sometimes even to better than what used to be normal. I can function 100% at work - which is even better than my colleagues most of the time.

My biggest problem is not the cruelty - people were actually interested and laughed at my crazy jokes (I like making fun of myself) until I got told by management that they felt I was stigmatizing myself and would no longer be allowed to talk to my colleagues and co-workers about my condition. Not even a crazy joke. Personally I feel that this is crueler. If people are educated, they can handle things in an educated manner. If they hear things via the grapevine, it might not turn nasty, but I've been isolated more and more ever since my hospitalisation last year. Well, at least I'm starting at a new company in 6 weeks time ;)

Reply to Liza