Question
Posted by: Feath | 2004/11/02

Living with Otosclerosis

I have had otosclerosis for the the last 15 years and, as is common with this disease, my hearing is slowly deteriorating. I am now at a stage where I cannot hear much without my H/A's. I try not to make too big a deal of my hearing loss but find that others find it difficult. The reactions range from - "Wow, I didn't even realise you had H/A's) - to - "Oh, I am sorry for you(Sob)". These reactions are soo weird. Does anyone else have this same kind of reaction. I always look on the bright side, "Hey, when my kids want to play loud music, I'll just take out my hearing aids - no problem!! :)

Expert ImageHearing Loss

I like post like these. It is encouring and fun! Being deaf and wearing hearings aids can have its advantages. Like you, taking your hearing aids off when the kids is at it again, I too like to do it sometimes. Best is when you go to bed. If you take your hearing aids off, you are not likely get get awoke my any noise. Also, I found when I want to pray or meditate, it great to take of your hearing aids, and not even be able to hear yourself breath!

A good attitute to have is: Don't feel sorry for me, because I don't feel sorry for me!

Keep up the spirit!!