Question
Posted by: Luane | 2011/11/28

Liver tests before going on Valdoxan

Hi there,

I will be weaning myself of venlafaxine and going on to valdoxan from today on. I will be taking the drugs together, having a valdoxan every second day. then in the second week i will have valdoxan on two consequetive days and then a venlafaxine. the third week i will just be on the valdoxan.

Is this a healthy way to switch over?

Also I want to go do a liver blood test to monitor if the drug will be affecting my liver. Which one do I need to do?

Regards,

Luane Lavery

The weaning off of the previous drug is very important when changing drugs, as there's otherwise a risk that one blames the new drug, naccurately, for what might be withdrawal effects of the previous drug, and this may obscure its benefits. So the plan your psychiatrist has suggested sounds reasonable.
A liver test is a reasonable idea, too, but should be chosen and requested by your psychiatrist, who will have to interpret the result, rather than arranged by yourself independently. There are some reports that in some people some liver enzyme levels go up after they start on Valdoxan, though this isn't thus far correlated to any actual liver problems, its wise to monitor the levels. Do discuss this with your shrink !

1