Posted by: emma | 2008/08/28

liver problems

My Jack Russel has developed an enlarged liver ( already 5x the normal size ) He is currently on supportive medication to lower the blood pressure , less stain on the heart , and hepavet , to support liver functions.
Any other suggestions on feeding to support the other organs ?
He is still very active .

Dear Emma

I would like to see a dog with 5x normal size liver. Must look like a hot air balloon. Your vet should make a proper diagnoses. TRhe only thing that can cause a liver nearly that big is liver cancer. Hills make a diet to support liver function, Hills L/D.

Posted by: Steve | 2008/08/29

My cat' s liver was in a very bad state 2 years ago. Luckily, the vet managed to save him. He is now back to normal except with a very strict diet. He is only allowed Hills Feline Liver Diet food and one Prohep a day. I am sure Hills make a similar product for dogs.

But I can' t stress enough the importance of getting the proper advice from your vet and then sticking to it.

Reply to Steve
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/28

What' s the cause of this condition? How old is the dog?

A human ' liver'  diet normally involves low fat and high carbs - not sure if this applies to dogs too - ask your vet! If he agrees, then check on the fat content of the food you' re giving - most commercial dogfoods contain a relatively high percentage.

I certainly wouldn' t be messing with any other supplements or remedies, without my vet' s knowledge and permission.

Reply to Chill