Question
Posted by: Jackie | 2007/03/07

LIVER PROBLEM

I have very high cholesterol (13.9) and on medication - Lipitor (Zocor 40mg didn't lower it at all). Can you please explain the term "fatty" liver to me and if a so called "fatty" liver can develop into "cirrosis" of the liver?
Is there a relationship between having such a high cholesterol and having a "fatty" liver, or is the latter caused by damage done to the liver by substance abuse such as codien/alcohol and cholesterol medication?
Lately I've had a problem with nausea in the mornings (its quite bad when I wake up) which got so bad once that I couldn't eat or drink anything for days! I was really very ill, my toung was coated with a thick whitish substance) I've also developed bleeding gums. There is always blood in my mouth, my gums even bleed when I drink plain cold water, and I thought maybe this is the cause of the constant nausea? What do I do, I getting worried that my liver is packing up!
Thanks.

Dear Jackie
the nausea and bleeding can be signs of liver dysfunction - when last did you have a liver function test?
See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease/DS00577
I think you should see your doctor - cholesterol medication does put extra stress on the liver and fatty liver can develop into cirrhosis eventually but not necessarily.