Question
Posted by: concerned | 2008/01/29

liver inflammation- supplements

My 27 year old son was diagnosed with an inflammation of the liver on 18 January this year. He was hospitalized but hepatitis A, B and C have been excluded. His slight jaundice has disappeared but he is still feeling weak and has been advised that he will only be able to return to work next Monday. Which tonics/supplements etc can he take that will be safe and effective? Are normal drinks such as Lucozade and Milo acceptable? Can he carry on taking Centrum, which he usually takes on a daily basis?

Dear Concerned
I am sorry to hear about your son's illness. Inflammation of the liver is always quite a serious condition as the liver is involved with so many different metabolic processes. He needs to eat a light, low-fat diet at the moment and can certainly take his Centrum which is a multivitamin and mineral supplement. He may also benefit from taking a specific liver tonic like Essentiale. He should drink 1,5 litres of water in which you dilute Game powder to help flush out the liver. Normal drinks like Lucozade and Milo are also acceptable. He also needs to get plenty of rest.
I do hope he will soon feel much better.