Question
Posted by: Jane | 2006/04/16

liver functions

Dear Heartdoc
I have been struggling with cholesterol for ages although i am very thin eat no fat exercise regularly my LDL stays high.
I take 20mg acta simvastatin.
My latest lipogram results are LDL4.2 Triglyceride 0.68 HDL 1.26 and total5.5 The medicine elevates LDL and lowers triglycerides.
My liver functions are normal What do you suggest? and do you think that there can be a connection between over active thyroid and cholesterol
Thanks for your advice
Jane

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jane,

You are clearly one of those people whose system is simply programmed to make more cholesterol than normal, no matter how strictly you control your fat intake. Your results are still on the high side, though, so I would suggest that you add Ezetrol to your regime. Please talk to your doctor about this medication. We have had excellent results combining this with Lipitor. Some medical aids refuse to pay for a second cholesterol-lowering agent, so you will have to decide whether the extra cost is worth it to you or not.

There is a link between thyroid function and cholesterol, but generally an overactive thyroid lowers total serum cholesterol, HDL and LDL, with a slight rise in Triglycerides. I don’t think that applies in your case.

Well done on being so pro-active regarding your health. Do you have a family history of cholesterol problems or heart disease? If so, then that may be the root cause, and you may have to simply accept that you will rely on medication and strict dietary control to keep your cholesterol values normal. However, as you mention thyroid disorders, it may be a good thing to have your function checked, and correct any abnormalities that may be discovered.

Good luck.

HeartDoc.