Question
Posted by: Allycat | 2007/04/18

Liver Detox

Hi Doc,

After excessive drinking and bad eating habits for maybe the last couple of years (due to lack of self-control during some tough times), I am trying to get my life back to normal, and my body back into shape.
What kind of foods etc. should I consume that will be of optimum benefit for especially the liver?

Thank you,
Allycat

Dear Allycat
It is a pity that you have neglected your health for a long time because certain organs like the liver do not fully regenerate damaged cells. I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to ascertain what degree of damage has been done to your liver and general health. This is important because you may require medical treatment. As regards diet I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). This is also important because you may need to restrict your fat intake or take certain supplements to try and rehabilitate your liver. Such an assessment is impossible for me to do over the Internet. So get some professional assistance right now and undo as much of the damage as possible.