Question
Posted by: ron | 2008/01/29

liver cycts

my father developed a number of cysts on his liver and had two big ones (measuiring 11cm) removed in1997/8. took him to a doctor on saturday for a laparascopy and the counted 11cycts on his liver and two have grown big again - 9cm. he used to drink and smke but he stopped some 10 years ago. what would cause these to develop and as it appears that they are growing back again. is there a non-invasive way of treating these as the doctor has scheduled an operation on 8 Feb.I am not sure that the op will help unless the root cause is identified as it is likley that we will have to go through the same process again. Could this be cancerous? Thank you

Dear Ron
In about 5% of the population hereditary cysts are found in the liver. Some people have multiple cysts called polycystic disease of the liver which is genetic. Other causes could be due to parasites, infections or cancer. The doctor will be able to determine the origin by doing a biopsy or drainage of the cyst. They remove cysts when it becomes so big that it “squashes” the normal liver tissue and causes damage to the liver. Cancerous cysts have a typical appearance on sonar/MRI and are distinguishable from benign liver cysts.

1
Posted by: Petro | 2009/03/01

During a CT Scan they found a 1,8cm mark on my liver as well as on one kidney. During September the dr removed 13 cm of my colon due to cancer. The 12 lymp nodes around were clean.

What can the cause of the marks be?

I still have to go for a sonar but I am worried sick in the meantime.

Reply to Petro