Question
Posted by: rob | 2007/03/23

liver???

I have recently been in ethiopia and tanzania, taking yellow fever and hepatitis a & b vaccinations a few days before I left. I also took malaria tablets a week before my tanzania trip (2 weeks ago). Whilst I was on my last trip I really consumed a lot of alcohol. Since then I am not able to consume many drinks without waking up through the night, dehydrated and if I take in fluids (water) I get major heart burn and also heart pulpitations. I also seem to have lower blood pressure at this time, feeling lightheaded. I have aches in my back, kindney area. During the day when I consume any form of food or beverage I am extremely bloated and experience indigestion, frequenting the loo. I have made an appointment with a GP in the meantime...any thoughts???

Dear Rob
You may have a bladder or kidney infection, but ask the doctor to draw blood for liverfuntion tests - your liver may have taken a knock with the vaccinations and malaria tablets plus alcohol. You may also have picked up a bowel infection or parasite?