Question
Posted by: mags | 2006/11/11

liver

my hands and face are yellow, the one doctor said that I have 30% liver function and that my liver is failing, the 2nd doctor took a blood test and said that there is nothing wrong with my liver and the yellow could be a iron deficiency but the blood test showed that my iron is down the middle,who do I believe and what can I do

Dear Mags
Yellow skin could be a sign of liver problems or even of a blockage in the gallbladder duct. Did you have a liverfunction blood test - if that is normal, your liver is healthy. One can also get a yellow skin from too much carotene An underactive thyroid or failing kidneys can also give you a yellow tinge to the skin.
You need at least - liverfunctiontest, UKE test, FBC test and further examination like sonar if any of these are abnormal