Question
Posted by: Tammy | 2006/10/30

Little Master Jeckel and Hyde

I seem to have a big problem with my 7 year old son..he is a normal child when he is at home or at least with familiar people, but if we entertain or have anyone new in our lives he acts like a completely different child.
He changes so drastically, becomes aggressive and just wont behave. I have just had our first family and friend get together in a long while and tried to "prep" him for a week before the do, but it ended up going south and he actually spoilt the whole day for me. He shows no respect to adults and to me or his dad and embarrasses himself and me. Do u suggest that I take him to a physcologist to address this anti-cocial behavour or do u think he will grow out of it? He is such a responsible and well mannered kid at home. I cant put my finger on why he does this. I feel that he is too old not to realise that his behavour is unacceptable.

So he puts on something of a performance when there are visitors ? Why not, indeed, see a child psychologist to get more clarity on why he is acting out in these particula situations. I assume you take care to praise him very specifically on all the occasions he shows good manners, withdrawing attention when he behaves badly. Is it that he has become used to being the focus of your atention, and feel jealous of visitors when they take some of your attention, and he is no longer in the spotlight ?

4
Posted by: kat | 2006/10/30

or even just volume control.

Reply to kat
Posted by: kat | 2006/10/30

id prefer an off button

Reply to kat
Posted by: tammy | 2006/10/30

thanks Kat...wish they came with a manual !

Reply to tammy
Posted by: kat | 2006/10/30

on the up side yours is well behaved at home so many people complain that there kids are great in front of guest but are monsters at home thing is no one believes them coz all they see are the sweet sides.

i would agree that its antisocial behavour and would sugest you get it seeing to. odd how different kids can be. maybe he isnt wanting others to come into his home and safe grounds and thats why he is like this.

Reply to kat