Question
Posted by: T. | 2008/01/29

Little concerned

Hope you can give me a little insight.
About 4 weeks ago i had a little of a health scare,went to the hospital did tests and im fine.But ever since that night i have anxiety,i get so scared that im going mad.I get weird thoughts all the time,i think about death and i get even more anxious,i get scared that i go mad and do something stupid.Im also getting married later on in the year..Could that be it aswell,im just scared i guess.Please give some advice.

Well, at least you won't be going mad. But anxiety attacks or panic attacks often FEEL as though one is going to go mad, or drop dead, or both. And the health scare, coming on top of perhaps some background anxiety about the forthcoming marriage, may have helped to set this off. And then, a typical part of panic attacks, is that between actual atacks, you get scared of when and where the next attack may occur, so you get scared of getting scared. Fortunately, both CBT counselling from a good shrink, and medication including some meds which are also used to treat depression, can make a big difference, and its wise to start treatment early, so that the anxiety attacks don't get entrenched as a sort of habit

Posted by: T. | 2008/01/29

So its safe to say that im not going mad? Yes i do get scared of when i will feel like this..so i think about it all the time,then i get scared that i die..Its weird..but you made me feel at ease..Thank you for your help.. :)

Reply to T.