Question
Posted by: Shan | 2003/01/17

Liquid diet after fundoplication surgery

I am scheduled to have a laparocopic nissen fundoplication. The surgeon has informed me that I will have to stay on a liquid diet for two weeks thereafter. For preparation purposes please would you advise what this entails as I have no idea what to stock up on for this. Is it products like Nutrament T or do I liqidise vegetables or is it pure stock only?

Dear Shah
A liquid diet usually entails products like Nutrament T, liquids (milk, thin custard, milkshakes, fruit juices without much fibre like apple or grape juice), cooked, liquidised, strained foods diluted with extra liquid to make swallowing easier, jelly, thin soups, etc, BUT this all depends on what the surgeon has in mind. Please take the trouble to phone his/her rooms and ask the receptionist what kind of a liquid diet you will be allowed to use - a clear liquid diet, a low-fibre liquid diet, a semi-solid liquid diet, etc. Once you have this info, I can make some suggestions.