Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2007/05/11

Linseed

How much linseeds should i consume in a day if I want to get my daily doses of omega 6 in? I am taking flax seed tablets at the moment and would like to substitute the real linseeds for the tablets. Could you please give me indication.? I eat it over my yogurt and apple.

Dear Kasandra
It would be better to rather take Salmon oil capsules which contain EPA and DHA (the active forms of omega-3) at a dose of 500 mg per day. Omega-3 found in plant sources like flaxseed and linseed, namely ALA, is less biologically active and still has to be converted to EPA and DHA by the human body. There is no way of being able to predict how your body is going to metabolise the ALA and what dose you need of linseed to equal what is found in the flaxseed tablets. My estimate would be 1 tablespoon may equal 1 tablet, but as I said I don't know how efficiently you are going to convert the ALA.