Question
Posted by: "Sleepless" legs | 2003/01/28

Link between restless legs, fybromyalgia & insomnia?

Having tried every suggested remedy (Sinemet, Quinine, Ativan, Lioresal, Valium etc) for restless legs, I am desperate to find a treatment that works. I take the full spectrum of minerals (Mag, Pot, Iron, Zinc, Cal + 5HTP) and try not to eat late at night, avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugary foods, as well as dairy at night (please also discuss the fact that r/l may be a metabolic and not neurolical problem). I also suffer from fybromyalgia (controlled to an extend with exercise, rest etc), and believe there may be a link between the two conditions (not sure, but the legs seem to be worse when I am stressed and particulary when I eat above foods). The subsequent insomnia I can control with Stillnox or Immovane, and paracetamol for the legs, but these respectively affect my short-term memory and obviously my liver. Catch 22. What do I do? No drugs no sleep! First prize is going to sleep naturally with legs that behave. Will this ever be possible?

Sleepless, it’s difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you first. It sounds like you have been to quite a few doctors already, so I don’t think that listing the basics is going to be of any help to you. To tell you the truth, I know of no publication that has mentioned a definite link between restless leg syndrome and fibromyalgia, but I can’t see why there can’t be one. The best would be to see a neurologist and have it sorted out. In the meantime you can try to change the Stilnox® for Imovane® and the Panado® for something like Brufen® and see what happens. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Sleepless legs | 2003/01/31

Thanks for the reply. Have subsequently stumbled upon a homeopath/iridologist who prescribed Vit B5, L-Tyrosine and "Dr Reckeweg No 14" (for insomnia and anxiety). This combination might do the trick ... it is a little better already. If to no avail, I'll try the neurologist route. Note: reply written at 11:55 ... who's kidding who about insomnia! However, the leg pain has definitely subsided to the extent that I don't have to walk around for an hour before attempting sleep again. Will keep you posted if you are interested.

Reply to Sleepless legs