Question
Posted by: rosy | 2008/05/26

Link between anaesthesia & mood disorder

I read an article in The Star today (26 May 2008)- Helen Grange's health page, about a young man with bipolar disorder. In it, his mother mentions that after receiving anaesthesia for a wisdom teeth removal op, he had a setback in terms of unpredicatble moods, etc. The mother then said that they now know he can't have anaesthetic again.
I was wondering if the Doc or any others have ever heard of this link before? I also had a serious worsening of a mood disorder after anaesthetic for wisdom teeth at a similar age to this boy, and I wondered if there is anything medically documented regarding a possible link in sensitive people or if it was just a random correlation?

I haven't heard of that particular theory before, and wouldn't leap to believe it. As yo mention such random correlations occur. Bipolar disorder is quite common, and wisdom teeth get removed fairly commonly, so the two will occur in the same person reasonably often ( and an apparent correlation between onset of any disorder and and anaesthesia, will happen even more often ). The task in research is to collecti sufficiebnt examples to clarify whether a correlation is significantly common, and then whether, for instance A caues B, or is caused by B, or whether both might be caused by something else. Also, we would consider what we DO know scientifically about the causation and natural chemistry and biology of Bipolar Disorder, and see whether it makes any sense for this to have been affected by an experience of anaesthesia. And of course, one wonders whether in this case and your own experience, even the same anaesthetic was used. Or whether if there is any correlation, it could be to some other medication or aspect of the wisdom tooth extraction, other than the anaesthetic.
I don't know Helen Grange, but would hope she would be careful about reporting anecdotes as though they were significant.
The very same day as I was involved in a serious car accident, I had bought tinned pineapple for the first time in many years. The two are associated, but I really don't think the one caused the other.

1
Posted by: shooter | 2008/05/26

Hi Rosey, CS... i suffered brain damage many years ago, after recovery it was found that a chemical imbalance had developed in the brain. with me, meds and or anaesthesia can cause drastic mood/behavior patterns love/ compassion to murderous rage etc.
it is possible

Reply to shooter