Question
Posted by: ??? | 2007/07/13

Limictin

I keep on reading about Limictin being prescribed for major depression and am confused. What IS Limictin? I was diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy a few years ago and was given Tegratol (sp) which was horrible with severe side-effects. Doc then changed to Limictin and I've been episode free since but is it an anti-depressant or epilepsy meds?

Lamictin is a drug which was first released and used for treating forms of epilepsy. But, like Tegretol and a number of other drugs similar used for epilepsy, it is also effective as a mood stabilizer in Bipolar Disorders, and Lamictin may be especially useful in treating recurrent depressions within a bipolar disorder. I wouldn't consider it a first choice for treating a simple Major Depression.
It may sound confusing that drugs like Lamictin are used for both epilepsy and Bipolar Disorder, but it actually makes sense, in that both conditions benefit from stabilizing and smoothing chemical reactions across cell membranes. SO, though it doesn't work in exactly the same way as antidepressants, it can be valuable in reducing recurrences of a mood disorder like Depression

5
Posted by: Gen | 2007/07/13

As far as I know Lamicton works for both depression and epilepticy.

Reply to Gen
Posted by: ??? | 2007/07/13

Exactly my point "it's got properties of anti-depressants". I don't have to be on anti-depressants, only anti-epileptic meds. Strange. Isn't that like taking Prozak for a bladder infection???

Reply to ???
Posted by: Me | 2007/07/13

I'm on Lamictin for depression, what it does is stabilize your moods so you don't feel so depressed. It raises your mood. It's got properties of anti-depressants.

Reply to Me
Posted by: ??? | 2007/07/13

Yes I am, Lamictin. I understand that its used to control and prevent seizures, that's exactly why I'm using it. To control and prevent seizures. I would just like the doc to explain why its ALSO used (because it clearly is) to treat depression. I am not depressed but taking it to manage epilepsy, am I then not somehow "messing" with my mind, taking something that's used for something I don't have. Hells, I hope I'm making some sort of sense here.

Reply to ???
Posted by: Jacqui | 2007/07/13

Are you referring to Lamictin? If you are, Lamictin is used to control and prevent seizures.

Reply to Jacqui