Question
Posted by: juice lover | 2006/11/09

lime cordial or fruit juice??

Hi diet doc, i'm trying very hard to loose weight, I need to loose 22 kg's,I'm having fruit salad and yoghurt for breakfast, 8 provits/crackerbread with tuna/cottage cheese/egg for lunch, veggies and chicken/fish for supper.But my problem is that fruit juice is my biggest weakness, i have too much of it-up to four glasses a day.Would it be better if i had lime cordial mixed with soda water rather?The weight is just not budging.

Dear Juice Lover
You will have to stop drinking so much fruit juice because it is relatively high in energy 214 kJ/100 ml so if you drink a 300 ml glass you will ingest an extra 642 kJ and 3 glasses could add 2568 kJ to your daily intake! In addition new research indicates that drinking beverages with a high sugar content (and fruit juices contain plenty of fructose, which is a sugar, as does lime cordial), tends to promote weight gain more than eating table sugar. Substitute at least 2 cups of fat-free milk (to provide 1000 mg of calcium/day together with your yoghurt) and start drinking sugarless drinks, soda water, artificially sweetened drinks, rooibos tea, iced black tea or hot tea or coffee with some of the milk suggested above. Try this and let's see if you don't start losing weight. Also make sure that you do regular daily exercise for at least 30 min a day (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).