Question
Posted by: Candy | 2005/12/07

light at the end of the tunnel

Although one never wants to hear the old cliche when everything around you crumbles, it's just true that there's light at the end of the tunnel. Two years ago my husband of 6 years died, I lost my job, I was in a car accident, and one of my children fell seriously ill. I had no hope for the future. Absolutely none. Only my kids kept me going, and probably some unrecognised but deepseated fight for survival. Now, two years and 23 job applications later, I found a very good senior position, doing something i"m really good at and enjoy, my children are happily settled in our new environment, and we laugh together a lot. And the strange thing of it all is that I feel I am today, and where I am today because of the trauma of two years ago. Not because i'm "a better person" (I hate that expression), but because in my job and with my children I now need the insight i got through having had to deal with becoming independent overnight after my husband's accident, dealing with all the admin and arrangements and assertive negotiations regarding the accident (I would've given it to my husband to handle if he was here), and recognising that it's OK to cry and be seriously pissed off (which I sometimes still am) about the hurt and pain. I'm glad that i reached this point where I can look back but know I'll be OK, and that I am able to count my blessings.

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable experience, Candy --- and congratulations. Today, you are the light in many other tunnels.

4
Posted by: Susie | 2005/12/07

Wow, I take my hat off to you for turning your life around the way you have. Well done. I have gone through 10 years of hardships and had to learn to be independant very late in my life (age 48). I also let other people (parents and husband) take care of me, until they were no longer there. Now I have a steady job, the bond is almost paid off, my car is old but it is paid for and I have to now do everything for myself and amazingly enough I can manage! Such is life!

Reply to Susie
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/07

Awesome. An inspiration fo rmany who feel at the bottom of lifes kakkest pit.

Thank you. And well done too, you deserve the happiness you have.

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: ........ | 2005/12/07

Thanks candy for sharing that with us, you are one of the true ordinary heros we never hear about, let me tell you: that I am suffereing more than you can ever imagine and your story has given me hope; my life seems so empty Candy; thankyou for sharing your staory with us.

Reply to ........
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/07

I congratulate you Candy. It takes a strong person to realise that these things get put in our way for a reason. We don't always see the reason at the time, but there is one. So glad that you are now positive about life. And I am so glad that you have put it in writing for those people to see that there is, as you say, a light at the end of the tunnel. I thank you.

Reply to Frusty