Question
Posted by: Shantal | 2005/07/15

Lifestyle is driving me MAD!!

Hi there Doc

Im a cabin attendant and work long and irregular hours!
Im a gym finatic who used to get there 5-6 times a week, and now im struggling to get there once..... Most days consisit of a 12 hour working day so making meals and getting to gym is put aside simply because im so tired and need to get all the sleep i get. Im very conscious of what i eat, but without having the time to prepare food i end up eating airline meals which you know are nothing but unhealthy! We also get little time to eat onboard so eating whilst standing between services for a 2min 'scoffing' is making me crazy....
Can you suggest any food that i can maybe make in bulk and freeze, and snacks/meals that i can take onboard with me to prevent me from eating those horendous carb and fat packed airline meals?

Dear Shantal
I hear what you say and must agree that the life of a cabin attendant must be very difficult. You will have to see where you can fit in some exercise, such as going for brisk walks where ever you are on stopovers and breaks between flying. From a dietary point of view living in the 21st century is an advantage because there are so many ready-to-eat foods which require the minimum of storage (refrigeration, etc). You need to do what I call creative shopping at stores like Woolworths. They have a whole range of foods that are suitable for low-fat eating. Then you can buy the following for breakfast: Get-up-and-Go or breakfast bars or energy bars, fruit juice and low-fat yoghurt; lunches wholewheat crackers with fat-free cottage cheese, dried fruit, nuts; suppers the low-fat meals in the Woolies range - you can heat them up with the passenger's food I presume. If there is any fridge space you can also buy fruit that does not easily get damaged like apples, hard pears, bananas (not too ripe) and plums which make excellent snacks. You can also make fruit smoothies (crushed fresh fruit, honey, yoghurt or milk) which you can store in the fridge and wholesome soups that you can freeze (use plenty of fresh vegetables and stock cubes plus noodles or cooked rice to make such soups).
Hope this helps