Question
Posted by: Virgi | 2008/01/17

Life style of an aneamic person

Ive been anaemic for more that 5 years now and i would like to have a diet to follow help develop and restore red blood cells in my body. i also need to know what vitamin supplements i can take.
i ve been taking ferrous sulphate for 2 years now with no improvement. i am constantly constipated becoz of these tablets.

please advice.

Dear Virgi
The following foods are excellent sources of iron that is easily absorbed by the human body: meat, organs like liver, fish, egg yolk and iron-fortified cereals and dried fruit. Seeing that you have been taking an iron supplement for 5 years without effect, I would strongly urge you to see a physician for a second opinion. In the meanwhile try taking Ferro-folate that is a combination of iron and folic acid. Also drink vit-C-rich juices (orange or grapefruit juice) with your iron-fortified breakfast cereals because vit C improves the uptake of iron.