Question
Posted by: ????? | 2008/07/21

Life Line

I am just wanting to know who mans the phones at life line? Are they volenteers or social workers and are they trained in what they say to one? I was feeling very down this weekend and almost phoned life line, but then I did not know what to expect from them...... I feel I need to change my life, but I don' t know where to start, could these good people give me advise on such?

As far as I know, they are generally volunteers who have been through a particular course of training, and they should also have access to supervisors who they can ask for advice. Of course, they are there to deal with crises rather than major life-changing changes which would generally require more skilled and long-lasting psychotherapy. Give them a go --- call and chat ---what could you lose ?

3
Posted by: ????? | 2008/07/22

Thanks all for your replies. Next time I have a down fase I will call them.

Reply to ?????
Posted by: anon | 2008/07/21

Dear ?????

Yes Lin is correct. Volunteers man the crises line, they are all lay counsellors, many are almost qualified psychologists/social workers, but generally they are not professionals in that they do not hold degrees. How many degreed professionals would be available 24 hrs a day to volunteer their time, I don' t know.

They go through rigorous ongoing training, and can definitely help with any problem you may be facing. They also have a very extensive referral database, so can advise or refer a caller to more specialised help, if needed, anywhere in country.

You need no fear calling them. Remember you remain anonymous at all times, unless you wish to divulge your name. They will not criticise you or judge you, but are there to help you.

Reply to anon
Posted by: Lin | 2008/07/21

There are traned volunteers with supervisors as well as professionals. The training is very intense. Phone them if you feel the need. They are there to help you.

Reply to Lin