Question
Posted by: Bintle | 2005/11/26

Life is tough but through God well make it

I would love 2 have a baby with mu hubby. A month ago iv tested negative but a week ago i tested positive. My hubby tested positive 2 years ago and his viral load is 270 and cd is 200and somthing. How can I get pregnant without infecting our baby. I wonder why is this appearing to me now after 2 years. We have been condomising since the day i found out he was positeve

You can take antiretrovirals in pregnancy to decrease transmission to the baby.

1
Posted by: Bb | 2005/11/26

Hi Bintle,
Your hubby will have to go for sperm washing either at a sperm bank or gynae then you can be artificially inseminated. Depending on where you have it done, it should cost around R1500. You could still claim for the consultation from your medical aid, but I doubt if they will cover the washing and insemination.

I recently read a posting by a husband whos HIV positive wife wants to have a baby. Pop over to the HIV counsellor and say hello, they have covered many questions relating to yours and he will best be able to advise you. Heres what he said to that hubby...

"This is a tough decision you will have to make. Although mother to child transmission prevention does cut down the chances of your baby being born with HIV a lot, it is not a 100% guarantee. You first of all need to prepare for the worst-case scenario and decide for yourself whether you would be happy bringing an HIV+ child into the world and think about how you would go about raising this child.

Secondly, I believe that the once-off administration of Navirapin to your wife during the MTCT prevention programme does not put her out of line for future ARV treatment. My main concern is whether you are prepared for the possibility, statistically low though it may be, to raise a HIV+ child. I recommend thorough exploration of this issue together with your wife and others whom you trust to make informed inputs, such as a reliable counsellor."

Reply to Bb