Question
Posted by: Didi | 2004/10/10

Life is almost over....

Hi Doc,
I've just learned that in a month or so my contract at a company that i've been with for the past 3 years is over! I dont know what to do - I feel like my life is comming to an end. I feel like such a failure. I've always been able to look after myself and my parents. Started working when i was 21 and i just turned 24.
I tried applying for other jobs but no one is interested in even looking at my cv. Im now considering suicide - Taking a whole bottle of sleeping pills and never getting up. But i keep thinking about my family and boyfriend. I've become so depressed. One less person in this world would not make a difference. I need help, advise, anything cause my current situation is driving me insane!

Hello Didi,
OK, alarming situation, but life is not, by a long way, over. How could this creep up on you unnoticed ? If it was a three-year contract to start with, didn't you know when it would end, and that this would need you either to renegotiate a position there, or find a new post ? You haven't failed, by a long way, and should still be able to look after yourself and others. Suicide is a terrible idea --- lousy for you, and for family and friends.
See, after the weekend, what our other readers might suggest about job-seeking and getting, and keep trying.

3
Posted by: Didi | 2004/10/11

Thank you guys!

Reply to Didi
Posted by: Art | 2004/10/11

Didi, you where a temp at the place you had a long run , that is what temping means you come you go there are dozens out there who do the same thing for a living you need to look at it from the right perspective, you will find other jobs you are stressing and not seeing the picture stop strerssing about being laid off and ending up wihtout a job send your cv to temping companies and each and every vacancy that is in the paper pure persistance is what you need, it is not the end of the word go out there and make ayour mark on the world dont back off.

Reply to Art
Posted by: Zeena | 2004/10/10

I go quite weak at the knees when I read about a young person considering suicide over a matter like a job contract coming to an end. Good grief, Didi, haven't you noticed yet that life is rich and wonderful and full of opportunities? Don't you realise that you were put on this earth for a reason, with missions to fulfill, and that it is not for you to decide when to end your life?

Come on! You are just a little depressed right now. Just think of the endless grief your suicide will cause your loved ones! Please, think along more positive lines.

Consider jobs you won't normally do. Read the Smalls. Be adventurous -- if only until you find what you want. A girl I know -- university education, degree, etc. -- landed in the same position. She scouted out some office buildings which were not next to fast food joints, and started making delicious sandwiches in her tiny flat. She saw to it that they were prepared well, hygienically wrapped, and good looking. Then with a wide smile she peddled them to office workers. She walked a lot, for sure, but she made some money and enjoyed talking to the people. She asked what they preferred, and tried to please them. In the end she did find an office job, but today she is head of a catering company who makes gourmet lunches for office bosses.

Look for a gap somewhere and take it. Are you computer literate? How about small ads that you will help people master WORD? (I know what I'm talking about: my husband has only just started working on WORD and is driving me crazy with his frustrations. I'm no techie myself!)

Come on -- go see some friends, go see a movie, but stop moping and start planning.

Reply to Zeena