Question
Posted by: Old Grundy | 2004/11/16

Life getting on my nerves

Hi - I have this feeling of anger towards the world right now - not for any particular reason. In fact I am more fortuante than most. A friend got attacked recently, stabbed and gun held to head and I got upset because of the political situation here as I feel there is so much hatred but I can't help feeling I don't want to be in this country - I am scared.
People are irritating me - I cannot even handle noise or any chaos. No patience or tolerance.
Want to fly away.
Is it a health problem, do I need a holiday or am I just an old grundy.

Well, a holiday break could be a really good idea, as this could be due to a gradual accumulation of stresses, capped off by the assault on your friend. If the bad feelings persist even after a break ( and choose somewhere relaxing and pampering rather than somewhere with a crowd of screaming school-kids ) then see a shrink for a re-assessment fo the situation, and treatment advice.

1
Posted by: HS | 2004/11/16

NO way! You're not an old grundy by any means - you're normal!
I know, my family got held up and tied up and robbed in their own house. I was furious and I had this hatred inside of me, I wanted to kill, then I wanted to leave this country, then I wanted to leave this world!!!
It's stressors, and it has a huge effect on us. The fact is that everywhere in this world there will be a set of problems - maybe different types, but problems nonetheless.
Don't run, try to get some time to yourself - a quiet space and time and clear your mind. You need this - because things do get too much - I actaully get agressive when there's too much noise / movement all the time.
Now that you're clear, think of ways to relax more. Maybe take a holiday where it's tranquil and serene.
Also, what's helped me a lot is to take a self-defence course - not to learn to kill - but to learn how to defend yourself enough to get away from a threatening situation. Empower yourself. But still, don't be silly, those "people" who tied up my family only robbed them - they did not hurt them / beat them, etc. If they want to take the car / cellphone / bag, let them, it;s material possessions. But only strike to protect your life or loved ones.
There are measures you can take to try and out your mind a bit more at ease.
I wish you everything of the best. I hope some of these suggestions help.

Reply to HS