Question
Posted by: Ocean | 2005/07/05

Life Coach

I'm thinking of making an appointment with a Life Coach. As far as I know this person will be able to help me sort out my life, and get it more structured. I've been going through some sort of mid-20's crisis, and I need to get a grip on things (career, relationship etc.). Would you reccommend this? Would you be able to tell me if this type of therapist is normally a qualified psycologist? I know this person's services is covered by medical aid. Thanks doc.

As far as I'm aware, a so-called "Life Coach" is a fashionable fad, and they are not formally recognized in any way, and have no recognized training or qualifications other than an extremely high opinion of their own wisdom ! I am shocked to hear that any medical aid, while they limit access to mental health experts and scientifically validated treatments, would pay for such quackery ! They are certainly NOT usually a qualified psychologist, and I cannot imagine how they can ever help anyone.
***Rather see a properly trained and qualified psychologist, who wouldn't make such grandiose claims !***