Question
Posted by: Carpall | 2004/12/13

LIFE AFTER CARPALL TUNNEL SURGERY

Dear Docter

I had Carpall Tunnel release surgery one month ago and would like to know the following:
The palm of my left hand is extremely sore and the pad of the hand is feels numb but at the same time burns like hell inside. I rarely get any relief from it as my hands are turned downwards while writing and typing all day. Hot water only slightly relieves the pain. Secondly, I still struggle to open most things, when I do I experience alot of pain in my fingers and the inside of my hand. I have difficulty grasping things, holding on to anything and I keep dropping anything I try lifting with my left hand. Leaning on the hand, eg. when I'm trying to get out of the bath or stop myself from falling and losing my balance ( I'm an epileptic), often has me in tears because the hand and arm are just to weak, they can't support me. The surgeon also made an incision of approx 9cm from below the left hand down my wrist. I had experienced a "bump" growing gradually in size from right under my left hand and quickly moving down the arm and growing in size, this "thing" hurt alot. At first the Dr said it was a little bone/cartlidge growing from the bone in my arm, then the second time he saw me he said it was either a large cyst or ganglion and the third time he saw me he said it was a problem with the nerves in my arm, but it was not any unusual growth or "thing". He said they'd cut my arm open and look for what it was, no x-rays or tests were neccessary. The bump is gone, but the pain remains and so does the dead and useless feeling in my arm and hand. Please advise when I can expect to start feeling better, I experience little real improvement since the surgery. Maybe I'm being too hasty, that it will all just take time to heal.

Carpall, you should have felt better a long time ago already. The best would be to contact the surgeon and let him know that there is no improvement and if he can’t help, get a second opinion. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Lee | 2004/12/14

I was back at work the day after having my carpel tunnel release and did not expereince any effects or pain since. Get your doc to check it out

Reply to Lee