Question
Posted by: Tracy | 2006/11/09

Licking

I have a 7 yr old, unspayed Golden Labrador. She recently started licking her elbow and now it's become swollen and raw looking. You can grab hold of the lump of skin, so it's not attached to the bone, it's just on her skin. What over-the-counter treatment do you suggest I get for her? I'm worried about going to the vet as he might prescribe expensive medicine which I can't afford and has no guarantee of working.. Please help as it looks very sore and I'm worried about her!

This could be an area that suffers when the dog lies down. Next time she is lying flat lok to see if the affected area contacts the floor. If so make sure she has thick bedding to lie on. It may help to bandage the area using a doughnut shaped spacer over the affected area to make sure the bandage does not put pressure on the affected area. It is best to have it checked out as these lesions can become traumatised and infected.

3
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/11/09

By the way, I hope you have the same attitude toward medicine for yourself. It is rare that there is a lack of efficacy, but it does happen which is why pharmaceutical companies have whole departments to take this kind of complaint.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Purr | 2006/11/09

An animal is not a budget item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Purr
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/11/09

This does need veterinary attention. Your vet will most likely give the dog cortisone - which is not hundreds of rands.

Reply to Acineth