Question
Posted by: Sue | 2007/08/20

Lice and dangers of gambex shampoo

My daughter came home from school 3 weeks ago with lice, I washed her hair with Gambex shampoo, took out (what i thought was all) the nits and washed her hair the next day again with Gambex. 3 weeks later she had lice again - I dont know if i missed somenits which hatched, or if she caught it again from someone else at school. Anyway, i washed her hair again with Gambex, took out the nits and re-washed agin the following day with Gambex again.

I phoned the manufacturers of Gambex shampoo today with a query, to be told emphatically that Gambex is dangerous and could cause cenral nervous system problems, neurological etc and not to use it again.
I had to take my daughter to the doc this morning as she developed a sore throat, cough and headache and slight fecer on Saturday. The doc said it is an URTI and prescribed Orelox Jnr.
Could this be related? have I put my daughter (age 7) at risk? What must I do??

Dear Sue
Gambex works well for nits and lice and I have used it on my kids as well. The problem is that they do get re-infected at school again. Gambex is toxic to the neurological system, but if you washed her hair as indicated on the package insert, and rinsed well and repeated only once after 24 hours, she should not have any side effects. I found Paraspray worked well, and if you want to go the natural way, there is a shampoo available from Margaret Roberts, containing "kakiebos" which also acts as a deterrent. http://www.margaretroberts.co.za/index.htm
Most of the treatments for lice is regarded as pesticides and should be used with care.

7
Posted by: wendy | 2015/10/15

Bring back gambex my kids have lice its endless nothing works this teatree products are money waisting

Reply to wendy
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/24

Paranix does nothing, I have used it over and over, it does not help. And now Paraspray has also been taken from the market. So let's get the lice to just repolulate all over our kids' heads.

Posted by: Michael | 2014/12/17

I got infected after a visit to my local barber.The tea tree formula's are absolute rubbish. With previous infections I used Gambex and never had any problems: the little critters were gone forever almost immediately.For everyone's sake bring back Gambex!

Reply to Michael
Posted by: Wade | 2014/08/16

I want gambax back my daughters have lice and we can't get it out.

Reply to Wade | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/21

Hi Wade Try Paranix it really works!!

Posted by: Stephen | 2013/05/30

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping you're still watching this. We have used Gambex in our house for years now, and never had any side effects. However, now that it is off the market I cannot find anything that works as well as it. Will Gambex ever be coming back ? Or is there an alternative that works as well is it ? We have tried just about everything so far.

Reply to Stephen | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: anonymous | 2015/01/21

hi, The one thing that really works for removing lice and nits are Paranix!!