Question

Librium

I suffer from REALLY bad muscle spasms in my shoulders and back - I have been having problems for about five years now. I work in IT and it doesn't really help sitting in front of the computer all day. It is becoming unbearable. I use Trepaline 25mg but even this doesn't ease my muscles. Would using Librium as a chronic medication be safe? (as a muscle relaxant)

Dear Anon
Librium is one of the Benzodiasepines type drugs - it will really work well but is addictive and may make you sleepy and I would not like to suggest this to you as a long term solution. It may help to see a physiotherapist to teach you some strengthening exercises and relaxation techniques. Heat packs, Robaxin or Norflex may also be useful.
See also http://patients.uptodate.com/topic.asp?file=bone_joi/8884