Question
Posted by: Jade | 2004/03/12

LETTUCE

I eat a salad every day not consisting of lettuce, Woolworth's sun-dried tomatoes and cucumber. What lettuce will provide greater nutritional value. I do suffer from low iron levels and low blood pressure. Is there a "better" lettuce to eat then the normal green lettuce we all eat in Greek salads?

Dear Jade
Not really - some of the darker leaves may contain more beta-carotene, but this would not help for the ion levels. The best sources of bioavailable iron are: red meat, liver, egg yolk, fish, iron-fortified cereals, legumes and dried fruit.