Question
Posted by: Jane | 2008/05/23

Less doubtful... but one more thing

OK, thanks for your insights on the value of seeking help (refer 1590). Assuming I was going to take that big step, how do I find a psychiatrist who uses that technique you mentioned, CBT? Looking through the Yellow Pages (don't laugh, how else?), not one of the psychologists (by the way, what is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?) mentioned CBT. Anyway, even if they did say they used that, how do I know if they are to be trusted? Like any professional, I imagine there are some who are excellent, and some who should be avoided.

YEllow Pages does, I think, list psychologists and psychiatrists. THe website ( and presumably also via phone ) the Anxiety/Depression Support Group ( number on this page ) lists some of the shrinks who DO practice CBT.
A Psychologist has specialized training in psychology and mental disorders and their psychological ( ie talking ) treatment ; a psychiatrist has similar training, but only after already fully training as a medical doctor, so they can prescribe drugs and assess physical aspects of problems, too.
Now, you're right, there are a few I've run into who I wouldn't allow to treat the budgie I no longer have ; but unfortunately there's no reliable way of being sure they are excellent ( any more than you can be sure of a lawyer, car mechanic, teacher, etc ) --- except that where a GP can recomment them, or the Anxiety/Depression Support Grouip, or FAMSA, they are probably OK