Question
Posted by: Mel | 2012/06/19

lesion on cervix

I''m 34. I went for a pap smear for the first time last week. I know, I left it late. The pap smear came back as abnormal and there is a lesion on my cervix. There is no pain but I have been getting some strange discharge.
I have a colposcopy scheduled for Thursday and I''m a nervous wreck. Cancer seems to be fairly common in my family.
What all can cause a lesion on my cervix? How likely is it to be cancer? Am I being paranoid or am I right to be afraid?

If you are scheduled for a colposcopy then the abnormal cells are likely pre-cancerous. The colposcopy will tell if there is more than this. Unfortunately you will have to wait for this result to know for sure.

2

Posted by: Tanya | 2012/06/19

Mel, being nervous prior to any test is very nerve wracking, but dont count your chickens before they hatch as they say. Cannot possibly say what to expect from results but dont get uptight before you know results. You dont say if you have had children or what made you go for an examination in the first place. Just go forward with a positive attitude. I wish you lots of luck and be brave!!!!

Reply to Tanya