Question
Posted by: trin | 2005/12/04

Lesbian couple fertility options

My girlfriend and I have been together for 3 years and 7 months and have decided that we want to have children.
I know about the various procedures available, however, I am unsure about where to go.
Our first option is Artificial Insemination. However, we've heard about a treatment that can actually have both our eggs together to have both our characteristics.
I also have no idea about the actual costs involved.
Can someone refer me to the best place where I can go in the Pretoria area?
Also any information about costs etc would be appreciated.

Dear Trin

Your best option would be to use the Cryobank which is based in Johannesburg in Parktown. Cryobank would be able to carry out IUI procedures but I am not totally clear what you imply when you say yoiu would like to use both your eggs together to have both the characteritics. I do believe that this possible at this point in time. However, it is possible to aspirate or retieve eggs from both independently and fertilise these eggs independently and to be able to transfer the embryos which result from this ferilisation process into one individual. In this instance the offspirng or resulting pregnancy could be from either partner. The IUI procedure is most cost effective. The alternate IVF procedure using both partners eggs would be more expensive as this would involve two stimulation cycles and could set you back around R30 000 - R 40 000. I would therefore discourage the latter procedure immediately, and try the IUI as a first option.
I would recommend the GENESIS FERTILITY CENTRE at Kloof Medi Clinic as a good option. Contact Jannie at 0823323474