Question
Posted by: fatman | 2007/12/05

leptin

Dear Doc,
I paste a article on leptin. Question, how true is it? I suffer - need to be very caucious on what I eat. I am not interested in a fast diet, try to eat balanced, low gi, problem is that I pick up weight(3kg) in a week if I do'nt eat right. Is there a test to see if your leptin level is right? Thanx!

THE ROLE OF LEPTIN:
Have you ever wondered why some people can eat anything they want without gaining weight? …. They usually have a high LEPTIN level in their body. (see research done at the Rockerfeller Institute and the University of Philedelphia).

LEPTIN is - a protein hormone that :

prevents the body from storing FAT
controls hunger and cravings.
is formed in the fat cells
regulates food intake and expenditure
provides the body with an index of nutritional status.
controls the whole FAT-METABOLISM.

If your LEPTIN level is LOW your body tends to store food as fat and you don’t feel satisfied easily.

THE LEPTIN can be LOWERED by:

HORMONAL CHANGES (in women)
PREGNANCY
HYSTERECTOMY
MENOPAUSE
HORMONAL MEDICATION (birth control pills, HRT, cortisone, etc..)
ANTIDEPRESSANTS

STRESS AND ANXIETY

CERTAIN ANTIBIOTICS

LONG OPERATIONS (the anaesthetics)

EMOTIONAL TRAUMA

PHYSICAL SHOCK (car accident)

CERTAIN VIRAL INFECTIONS

UNHEALTHY EATING HABITS

GENETIC FACTORS

YOUR LEPTIN LEVEL CAN BE RESTORED BY:
A combination of the RIGHT SUPPLEMENTS and a nutritionally BALANCED EATING ‘PLAN’ – this takes a ‘load’ off the body which enables it to form

Dear Reader
I agree with most of the statements made in the article you quote, except the last one. If you have a leptin deficiency then it is not really possible to restore the normal levels. But a true leptin deficiency is very, very rare. If you suffer from 'leptin resistance' (ie your body makes enough leptin, but the hormone can't act as it should in the body because the cells are resistant to it) then according to our present understanding of the situation, this can also not be remedied). Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search for the article "LEPTIN - IS IT THE ANSWER TO OBESITY?" that I wrote awhile ago. You will have to ask your gp to find out if you can have your leptin tested at one of the biochemical labs. However, there is not yet any product on the market that can be used as a 'leptin hormone replacement'. In your case, I would also ask the dr to do tests for insulin resistance (IR)as you may well suffer from this condition seeing that you can't lose weight. If you have IR then you need to have a special diet worked out for you by a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). You would need to combine the dietitians low-GI diet with regular, daily aerobic exercise. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes' to find out more about IR.