Posted by: Debbie | 2007/06/13


Hi, I need a bit of legal information regarding the rights of gay people in SA.

My best friend and his boyfriend live together and have lived together for nearly three years. We all work for the same company and are entitled to staff accommodation, amd they have shared a house since starting to work here. They are not legally married, but Im assuming that common law spouse rules apply.
My friend was "forced" to resign due to a series of unfortunate events which he was held responsible for. He has now received a notification to vacate the house that they share.
Surely the same law applies to straight or gay couples? Surely they cannot force him to leave, if his partner is still in the employ of the company?
Is there perhaps somewhere in Mpumalanga where we can get more information regarding his rights, or perhaps a gay attorney who could help with this one.
I personally feel that he is being sexually discriminated against, as senior management have no problem in calling him a "Moffie" to his face.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks and regards,

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Debbie and thanks for this post.

Thank you to LoneWolf for he info provided. I've also asked a prominent gay attorney in Cape Town, Andrew Massyn, to respond to your post. Watch this space....

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: THINUS | 2007/06/19

Dear Lonewolf,

My friend Debbie, has posted this questions to you about our rights in the company we are employed at.

Would you please be so kind as to use my details for any reply, and maybe give me more info about the gay attorney in Capetown.
Andrew Massyn.
The matter concerning the housing was sorted out. The companies legal advisor has send me a letter of apology, but as for the unfareness in the work area the problem just getting bigger and bigger.

thank you and i hope to hear from you soon

Reply to THINUS
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2007/06/13

I am not sure regarding the position on the housing, but as a start try the Mpumalanga Attorneys Council: Tel (017) 647 298, Fax (017) 647 1260, or the Legal Aid Board in Nelspruit at 013 753 2154 or 013 755 5019, Legal Aid Board in Middelburg at 013 243 5964 or 013 243 4269. With regard to derogatory remarks related to sexual orientation, it is completely unacceptable and even unconstitutional. Try the same legal resources. I am sure something will be done about it. If you can afford it, maybe a private attorney is the answer.

If you do not feel comfortable with the above contacts, contact the Triangel Project (see details top of this page). Keep us posted. This is not acceptable.


Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.