Question
Posted by: 'Val' | 2004/01/07

Leg waxing vs In-grown Hairs

Hello!!!

I am posing the question on your forum because the Skin Doc is on leave. After contacting your information desk, I was recommended to you. I hope that you will be able to assist me please.

I am a 24 year old woman and for the past two years I have started frequeting the same beauty salon for full leg waxes. The problem was that my regrowth after shaving was rapid and being a hairy person to begin with, I therefore chose to go for leg waxes. As mentioned, I am hairy, so I have my butt and stomach waxed as well. I now have many scars due to ingrown hairs. I have become extremely conscious of my legs and butt due to this. I currently have ingrown hairs on my inner thigh and its hurting like hell.

I would like to know:
- how does waxing cause ingrown hairs? I never had this problem when I shaved my legs.
- what can I use to get rid of the marks on my legs
- how do I get rid / avoid getting ingrown hairs

Thank you for your time. Have a good day1

Thanks,

'Val'

-

Val, anything that causes the hair to start growing from under like skin surface again, may lead to ingrown hairs if you are inclined to it. In other words, it’s not the specific procedure, but rather a tendency to develop ingrown hair (of course, some procedures increase your chances of this happening). When you shave your legs the hair stays above the skin surface and that’s why it doesn’t grown in. shaving also removes the dead cell outer layer and this also makes it less likely for hair to grow in. apart from shaving, laser removal might also be a good idea.
How easy it is to get rid of the scars depends on how bad the scars are. The best would be to see a dermatologist about this so that he can prescribe you the correct treatment right from the start. Good luck.

2
Posted by: annie | 2004/01/09

Try te put Prep Shaving cream on Afterwards
It works wonders and repeat for about 2 days after shaving or waxing (instead of using lotion or anything funny, just put on Prep

Reply to annie
Posted by: Cookie | 2004/01/07

I have exactly the same problem except from waxing my bikini line, although I have very fine hair. My theory is that my hair has got so fine and weak from the waxing that it can't break through the skin. Everyone has suggested regular exfoliating but that doesn't help. I've also tried some "miracle" in grown hair lotion which doesn't work. I then resorted back to shaving in an effort to get my hair stronger / thicker again but I keep on getting a rash (sensitive skin) and then still get ingrown hairs. Arrggggggh. Now I am just hairy! So I am also looking for help, but want to let you know that you are not alone.

Reply to Cookie