Question
Posted by: blossom | 2008/01/29

leg joint pain

i am 51 and have always keep relatively fit. i walk on my treadmill 3 times a week and also go for a 1-2km walk twice a week. for th4e last few weeks i have woken up with aching pain at the top of my leg joints - on the sidse. this is on both sides. i battle to sleep on my back, but this is the only way to ease the pain. i dont have a problem during the day. do you have any ideas?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Blossom
This could be restless leg syndrome- something that is still relatively unknown and does not really have a cure. You can try taking a magnesium supplement. You can also google the name "restless legs syndrome" and get onto one of their websites. I know that cold and hot packs as well as some anti depressants have worked for some people. If this pain is really bothersome, let your GP check it out to make sure there is no other reason for the pain.