Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2007/04/23

LEFT SIDE PINS AND NEEDLES, DRAGGING LEG

My 9 year old son tends to drag his left leg, or it crosses over the right leg when he is tired. I have had him checked out by a orthopaedic surgeon who said that he is basically hyper-flexible (can't remember correct terminology). He has had this for a while, and the surgeon says that if it has not corrected by the time he is 12 he will have to have a hip operation. On a few mornings he has woken with pins and needles on his left side. Sometimes he says his eye is tired, and wants to close all the time, other times he says he has pins and needles in his arm/leg. He does seem to be dragging his leg a little more then usual. He is very busy at school with academics and sport at the moment, so could he just be tired, or could there be something else? This does not happen every morning, so could it be that he is sleeping heavily on the left side? I am worried that it could be something to do with the brain? Am I overreacting?

Dear concerned mom
NO you are not overreacting - rather have him evaluated by a pediatric neurologist. Look on easyinfo.co.za under medical for one near you or ask your GP to refer you to one. Trust your motherinstincts!