Posted by: Des | 2008/09/05

A few years ago I had a neck operation, they took a small piece of bone from my hip and inserted it into the neck. For a long while I was fine. About a year ago I started having the shoulder pain again, would this mean I have to have another operation? As I really don' t want to but the pain gets so severe I can' t handle it.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Des,

I certainly understand your concern after having been through the surgery before. The most important is of course that it be confirmed that your shoulder pain is definitely coming from the neck and that it is not a primary shoulder problem. Although shoulder pain can be a referred pain from the neck most of the painful problems in the shoulder are due to primary pathology in the shoulder itself.

it may be a good idea to see an orthopedic surgeon to exclude the shoulder joint as the problem before regarding it as a recurrence of the previous neck problem and even considering embarking on more neck surgery

Dr Joe de Beer