Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2007/05/10

Left blocked tube

I had a lapscope in september 2006,doc told me that the left tube is blocked and that i will have difficulty conceiving.I went to another doc and he told me that there is a possibility that u might fall preggies cause the right tube is fine.The first month he put me on clomid 50mg and then the second time he gave me a pregnyl injection and when that did not work he prescibed another box of clomid 50mg,have not been to see him a yet.

I would like to know what are my chances of falling preggies.

Dear Tracey

Although it is possible to conceive via the patent fallopian tube, in most cases the causative factor resulting in the damage to the tube will affect both tubes. In the case of the left tube, this has resulted in total blockage, but there might be microscopic damage to the right tube, which is not easily detected on laparoscopy. Hence the prognosis for pregnancy is definitely reduced and will also depend on ovulation taking place on the ‘unaffected’ side. The months where ovulation is not occurring on the right hand side would be of little value. The use of clomid to induce ovulation from both ovaries does not always have the desired effect and it may be necessary sometimes to use stronger induction techniques such as the use of injectables together with ultrasound monitoring to verify that the ovaries are responding as desired. It is also important to note that the risk of an ectopic pregnancy is significantly increased in this situation. Should three attempts at ovulation induction and intra-uterine insemination fail I would advise you to proceed to In vitro fertilisation.