Question
Posted by: Jack Rusell-stress attacks | 2004/02/02

Lee

In the past 2 weeks my 5 year old Jack Russel got 2 of these attacks. He starts shacking and his right front paw, and left back paw stands straight and he cant walk on them. It looks like he goes into a spasm or something. The first time was after he played with a soccer ball, and I thought it was 2 much excitement but it happend again today when he wasnt doing anything.

Do you ahev any advise to why this is happening.

I presume these attacks of rigidity resolve spontaneously within a few minutes? If so, it could be a type of partial epileptic attack. This mild form of epilepsy does not necessarily warrant treatment, however it may advance and present as regular epilepsy involving the entire body. If this should happen, always remember never to put your hand in the mouth, just protect it against bumping on a hard surface. If it does happen, please go see your vet, as treatment can be highly successful and your dog can continue living a normal life. Some dogs will only get this mild form of epilepsy, and it may never progress beyond this point. Time will tell.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town