Question
Posted by: JC | 2005/06/29

Leaving Work

Hi, I need some outside opinions on the following...

I am in an unfulfilling job for more than 2 years now. It's not going anywhere, I'm not motivated, don't feel like I add any value & feel like a useless doormat. This I'm sure also has an effect on the type of person I am, which is depressed most of the time.
I've tried quite a few options, like getting myself more involved, going for more training, being more outspoken, trying to make more friends... nothing seems to work. I always hit a brick wall.

The thought of leaving and trying to start my own business has been planted in my head, and seems more lucrative each day. I would be working for myself, my financial well-being will be totally dependant on me, my success/failure would undoubtedly have an effect on my depression, I will be self-reliant & independant... There are quite a few of these pro's for myself as a person, and the con's are there as well, like the biggest right now is that I would be taking a very big risk. Like almost anybody, I have responsibilities to take care of. Hopefully though, these would not create much concern until maybe after 3/6 months of leaving.

What do you guys think? Am I being too hasty? Am I making my risk too big by leaving work & trying to start my own business? I know I'm not really leaving myself much of a back-up plan. I've tried so many things to make my current work-life better, or at least more bearable, but nothing seems to work. I am a bit worried that if I do end up just staying in my current job that it would be to my ultimate detriment as each day/week/month/year that I stay under these conditions, helps break me in a way. Then again, if I do peservere towards my own business, I may just hasten my downfall incase it all falls flat. Been also considering that it might just be best if I at least try, & if I fail, then it really wouldn't hurt to start all over again...

Running a successful business as your own boss is surely satisfying, but it is FAR harder to achiev, and to succeed at, than most people realize, and requires a far larger reserve of cash than you'd imagine. Very often in this forumwe hear of people who have spent a couple of years failing to establish their own business --- so be sure, if you plan such a move, that you have a good business plan, sound financial backing, etc.
let's see what others say

3
Posted by: KC | 2005/06/29

Dont know if you saw Oprah yesterday. They had a story about people that are millionaires from a simple idea.

I wish i could do something like that. If you've got an idea that u think could work, GO FOR IT!!!! Those ladies did and look where they are today!!

I feel exactly like u do. Myself and a friend were going to open up a nice little coffee shop, but because we got a 3rd party involved, it never took off - SABOTAGE!!

Aim for the sky.....

Reply to KC
Posted by: CJ | 2005/06/29

Are you going to buy an existing business are start a new one from scratch?
If I were you, I would do a bit or market research first, before handing in your resignation.

Having your own business is hard, hard work. My Fiance has his own buisness, and it often means late nights, and weekends. His client's also phone him on weekends, and his staff phone at all sorts of hours too. Just keep that in mind.

It does have it's benefits too, you are your own boss and the satisfaction of seeing something paying off after all your hard work is one of the best feelings in the world!

Reply to CJ
Posted by: Star | 2005/06/29

Give it a go and make it work, it has to work, don't be negative before you even started. You have an idea, I would kill to have a idea or even the opportunity to start my own business. Just rember, you work harder when you work for your self, but at least you know who you working for.

My advice, GO FOR IT AND MAKE IT WORK!

Reply to Star