Question
Posted by: bird | 2005/11/29

Leaving the nest

I'm 25, the oldest of 3 children (23, 18) and still living happily with my parents (we all are still there). Next year is going to bring a lot of changes - brother moving out to study, sister going overseas.. and where does it leave me? We are a very close-knit family, we all get a long well, and I have never really had an urge to get my own place. Should I just make the decision to go, eventhough I have no urge to do it? I don't want to be missing out on a different part of my life (living in my own place) and making moving out harder and harder. I'm already fearing a HUGE case of home-sickness if I eventually leave! What should I do?

There's no immediate hurry for you to move out --- and surely you should discuss these concerns with your family, and explore your different options.

5
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/11/30

You're such a closeknit family, and two of the three children are leaving. You are happy to stay where you are, so don't rush in finding a place of your own, it will be stressful for all concerned. Rather do it later when there are less changes.

I do agree with ... , the best memories I have of "me time" was when I lived alone. I actually got to know myself quite well, and treausre those memories.

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: ... | 2005/11/29

I don't think there is anything wrong with staying with your parents if you're comfortable with the arrangement... but living on your own and being totally independent makes for an interesting life... I think every person should spend some portion of their life living alone and experiencing what it is like to make decisions based on exactly what you want... i.e... not having to worry about waking up your parents when you come home late at night... having your own space when you meet a new lover... playing whatever music you want to hear... when you want to hear it... it's amazing how much people who live together compromise (which isn't a bad thing)... but living alone helps you discover things about yourself that you didn't know before.....

Reply to ...
Posted by: Lee | 2005/11/29

I agree with the other posts... stay if your parents are happy to have you.i'm sure they will though with your siblings all leaving You obviously enjoy your family . .. talk about empty nest syndrome for them. Why not have a chat to them about how they feel. I see no problem as long as you are contributing to your upkeep.. you are after all no longer a child :)..

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/29

I also say, if you dont need to, and its a good situation. why put that kinda of stress on yourself! trust me, there are still plenty time to do that. Its not always easy on your own.

If its not a problem to stay with your parents.....njoy the time with them. Not all of s have that opportunity.

Reply to Delene
Posted by: Valkyrie | 2005/11/29

Bird - why leave if you don't want to....there is no place like home and having your family with you. If you are comfortable and happy living with your parents - stay. Just contribute to the household and I'm sure your parents will love to have you there as long as you wish...........even after you want to move out you will always be welcome....home.

Reply to Valkyrie